Location: Highgrove Gardens, Highgrove Estate
Reports to: Deputy Head Gardener, Production Garden Team Leader
Salary: Dependent on experience
Contract: Permanent, full-time
The Prince's Foundation
The Prince’s Foundation provides holistic solutions to challenges facing the world today. We champion a sustainable approach to how we live our lives and build our communities, we run a diverse programme of education and training for all ages and backgrounds, and we regenerate and care for places where communities thrive and that visitors enjoy.
We work nationally and internationally but at the heart of our organisation is the heritage-led regeneration of the Dumfries House estate and its wider community, where our principles and philosophies are explored and put into practice.
The work of The Prince’s Foundation is inspired by His Majesty The King's philosophy of harmony: that by understanding the balance, the order and the relationships between ourselves and the natural world we can create a more sustainable future.
The Prince’s Foundation has taken on the stewardship of Highgrove Gardens, which will include the delivery of education courses on the estate.
What you'll be doing
To work as an integral and effective part of the garden team at Highgrove, ensuring that the garden is maintained to the highest possible standards at all times.
Main areas of responsibility
To undertake and assist with the seasonal maintenance and development of beds, borders, paths and structures wherever necessary in the Garden. Tasks will include:
- Maintenance of extensive herbaceous plantings to include dead-heading, staking, tying-in, division, feeding and watering.
- Maintenance of paths, ornamental hedges and design features.
- High-access work to maintain high level features.
- Wide use of garden tools, equipment and machinery.
- Shrub and specimen tree planting and maintenance.
- Vegetable seed sowing, cultivation and harvesting.
- Tree and shrub nursery stock maintenance.
- Care and maintenance of soft, cane and top fruit.
- Topiary trimming, maintenance and development.
- Maintenance of water features/formal ponds.
- Grass mowing and maintenance.
- Coppicing for plant support materials.
- Organic weed, disease and pest control.
- Weeding and mulching of ornamental borders.
- Leaf clearance.
- Shared care and maintenance of compost systems.
What you'll need
The job involves carrying out demanding and repetitive physical tasks. RHS Level 2 or equivalent desirable.
Hours of work
The position is full-time – Normally 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday to Friday, (40 hours per week, plus unpaid lunch break). Extra weekend watering duties are required on a rota basis.
If you would like to apply, select 'Apply Now' above and send your CV (stating 'Highgrove Gardener' as the subject line) together with your covering letter as soon as possible. Please note one A4 page maximum each for CV and cover letter.
View job description